Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Verdict . . .

Well, the VNS is infected. There is a pocket of infected buggy fluid around the VNS. I get to see the Infectious Disease team the first thing next week to talk about nuking the bugs and the VNS will 99% have to come out. Actually, I was told the thing was coming out, but I am holding on by my fingernails that it might get to stay in, but I won't be taking any chances anyway. I will have to get a PICC line and get IV antibiotics until that can happen and afterwards. I am really hoping at least the wires can be left in an an attempt at a reimplantation can be made somewhere down the line, but this all doesn't look good and I might have to accept that.

It was the worse news possible I could hear. I am actually taking it as well as can be expected, because I am trying not to look down the line at my future. One step at a time is all I can take right now.

I am sooooo grateful for the support of my family and friends. It takes some of the everyday stressors that you have to worry about with such a burden so much easier. I won't have to worry about Peanut, Latte or Stella or anything like that.

I plan on working right through the PICC line and antibiotics crap, but I obviously will not be able to work after the surgery and the post op period. Hopefully, I can get back ASAP after that post op stuff is over (I am hoping 4 weeks, but they let you back after 6 weeks). but that might not be up to me. I really hate how Occ Health would want to keep me out longer.

My running milage this week has been fantastic. I've been under so much stress since this has started and running long has really helped the stress and thinking about everything. I hope I can continue running for as long as possible, but I don't know how much I will be able to do after the surgery. I will probably keep up with walking though, until cleared for running.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

That's such crappy news but you sound so positive. I admire your strength so much. Sending best best wishes for some better news or some sort of miracle so you don't have to go through any more pain.

Kelodie said...

I'm hoping for the best, Carrie. Hugs!

Ted said...

I admire your positive attitude. I do wonder if my cochlear implant can be infected. It is sitting right next to my brain. I have this magnet thing in my skull. My girls get the kick out of it whenever a paperclip clings to my skull. Hang in there. You will be back to running when this is over with. Sending good vibes to you.