Wednesday, August 5, 2009

August has started out alright with a fight . . .

My first long run of August (16K) was great. I kept it at a easy, comfortable pace all the way through (mostly) despite the heat, sun and humidity. I felt as if I was lagging between the 8-12K mark, but using a half gel every 25-30 minutes seemed to really help. I took only one water bottle and just stopped at corner stores and a gas station for refills.

Stella found a yellow jacket nest in the backyard in a crack in the foundation of the house (that I didn't know was there because it was below the grass). They became really aggressive and stung Stella at least 5 times at that time and Peanut at least one in the nose when she went to see what was going on. Latte stayed far, far away because she's a scaredy-cat (and might be the smarter one of the bunch sometimes). I sprayed water on them, because at the time, I thought it was a fallen paper nest somewhere, but they all just poured out of the hole and flew in an angry rage. I just threw the hose down (still running) and ran into the house.



After a Google later, I poured dishwashing machine gel (lemon fresh!) into the hole and ran water, under the theory that the smell and the soap would make them abandon their nest by the morning. Wrong. They were pissed off all night and into the next day. Yesterday and this morning, I thought I should just wait it out until the fall when they all die off and just mono-caulk the crack or call Denis to fix the crack in the foundation and then the problem would just fade away. The yellow jackets could have their space, and I could have mine.

Wrong. The yellow jackets keep going after and stinging Stella, even when she is no where near the nest. I was hanging the laundry and one started buzzing my face. I don't have an epi-pen here and that made my decision. I Googled a BBB pest exterminator (http://www.bbb.org/) and got Capital Pest Control (http://www.regionex.com/). I gave the place a call and he was here in a half hour. He bombed the buggers! The nest will be 'angry' for up to a week, and he said he would return in one week to see the state of the nest and a possible re-bombing. I have a 3 month guarantee with it for only $126 (including GST). Best money spent in a long time. Problem solved.

Now I have to figure out how I'm going to get the laundry back on the line . . .

2 comments:

Ted said...

Oh yikes !!! Hope your dogs are okay and you, too. Sorry that you had to go through all the trouble. Make sure the pest control really NUKE 'em.

Spirit Flower said...

I had the same problem and had to get an exterminator too.