Wednesday, June 24, 2009

HOT one out there today . . .

So the new plan is to split up runs when it is really hot out there. I think it is something that is necessary at this time of the summer to keep up the mileage that I need to rebuild for the Army Half without jeopardizing my health. Running in the heat is a little scary with epilepsy, due to the dangers of dropping electrolytes/dehydration/glucose and risk of seizures and the increased dangers of hyponatremia with my anticonvulsant drugs - plus I'm not the most knowledgeable one with regards to nutrition and running. I'm trying to be, but to me, experimenting with all of this becomes a little more risky. I'm totally open to any suggestions, but the generalized advice sometimes doesn't apply to someone with my kind of issues.

I haven't had any problems as of yet, but I think being extra cautious is the best thing.

1 comment:

Ted said...

I agree with you that it is a good idea just to be extra cautious. One idea is to run early in the morning when the temperature is cool. It does make sense that when the electrolytes balance is out of whack, seizure kicks in. I am not an expert but I would say that it is imperative to keep hydrating on a regular basis. (not to overdo it) If the temperature is too hot, hit the air conditioned gym where they have dreadmill.