Thursday, January 8, 2009

Starting out on my plan . . .

I started my half-marathon training plan on Monday and so far, so good, except for the typical epilepsy bump-in-the-road. It's just a reminder that I might have to account for a little more than the average person. But I digress . . .
I started a log on Running Mania (www.runningmania.com) also and have been documenting my training plan there too, but I will focus not so much on the running here, but the trials and tribulations to go through. I hate bothering people with the various hardships someone like me would go through in such a plan if you are not interested, but here, this is mostly the purpose of this blog.
Well, I haven't been having very many seizures lately. Two in December (and early December) and just as the first week of the training plan takes effect - BANG. It was the second day, my first 5K run of my new plan. I was so disappointed, but really, I don't know why I would be. My plan was created to absorb all the little seizure and surgery related crap that I go through and no one else would go through. I work really well with a schedule and a plan layed out, and have recovered quite well the next day, performing two items of the upcoming plan on the same day. Easy. Seizures are just a reminder that epilepsy will always try and trip me up and my job is to not to let it do so.

On a related note, I have to discuss my ongoing disturbing feelings of something that happened lately in the "celebrity" world. I am not one to check up on what these people do in life. I sometimes look at pictures of what they are wearing at work if the mag is open, or it might be on the news and I half-listen to it. I really feel these people are rewarded for doing very little and contribute absolutely nothing to the general welfare of the population as a whole. Most of them are not using their little-earned "fame" for the betterment of mankind. Some are, and I applaud them for it. Some of them do contribute, but at outlandish money being given to them for appearances, more can be done for charities by some of these people. Okay, I'll be off my soapbox on "celebrity" for awhile . . .
The real purpose of this is the current John Travolta's son's death thing. What goes on in that family is none of my business. Really. It's sad that a child died - for anyone, regardless of fame. What bothers me, as a person with epilepsy, is the fact that he wasn't being medicated for that condition. I have been in ICU twice - TWICE for the same reason. My reason was due to lack of funds to pay for my treatment. Sad, but true. Why would you gamble with your son's life because of some wacky religious convictions? I'm all for religious freedom. I'm Buddhist in a Christian-dominant society - but my religion doesn't dictate to risk my life or others for beliefs held by that religion. It also sounds like the son had about the same amount of seizures as I do, abet he wasn't medicated and I am, so in fact, I might be in a more serious boat that that child is. I know that if I do not take my meds, I will eventually have a seizure and die. Who were the neuros that told this family that it was okay to not take your anticonvulsants? They are not psychotropic meds!

The more they talk about it, the more it makes me angry that this poor boy had to die of epilepsy when I fight to live with epilepsy.

4 comments:

Sonia said...

Hard to understand why they wouldn't medicate him... but they are part of that religion that is really weird.... might have smth to do about it?

Glad to see you started your training and it is going well, despite the seizure and missing one run.

I'm doing your long strength training once a week now! I love it!! Thanks for sharing =)

Carrie said...

Thanks! I am down to doing that strength programme once a week and starting that Yin Yoga program that Lorne has the DVD for next week. I think yoga will help with my muscles feeling too tight.

Kelodie said...

I think this is awesome that you don't let epilepsy stop you from enjoying life. You are an inspiration!

Good luck with your HalfM training. I'll be cheering for you at NCM when the big day comes. :-)

Melanie said...

Hi! Sonia gave me your blog address... so thought i'd come check ya out! I also had epilepsy... it's hard. Good for you for running...I wish I had started a lot sooner, I'm curious to see how it affects your seizures. I've been almost 8 years since my surgery, and without seizures.. there's hope for you too, if there is anything I can do to help. lemme know :)