Monday, November 24, 2008

Scary incident . . .

On Saturday morning (0430) I heard a pounding at the door. The dogs freaked out. I go to the door and see someone through the peephole. I did not open the door. I asked what the person wanted. A woman's voice. I want to use the phone. I said, I'm not opening the door, do you want me to call for help? No, I want you to open the door. I said, I am not opening the door. She pounds on the door harder and harder. I told her again, I am not opening the door. I'm going to call the police. She starts to talk to someone, down the walk around the corner of my house (or that is where her head was looking). She said, are you going to open the door, I am cold. I said I am calling the police. She said, open the door now! I call the police, and let them know what was going on. The police where there within seconds. It actually looked like they were up the street. The woman was gone. I started looking out the windows to see what was going on. I saw the police slowly driving up the street, with one of the patrolmen with a large flashlight, walking along the police car, searching in our driveways and bushes. They went up the opposite way. I then saw another police car drive back toward the way the first police car backwards very fast. I saw the lights and the cars stop. I was hoping that they found the person. I tried to go back to sleep.

I was almost asleep before the light cover in the kitchen fell down. Scared the crap out of me. I tried to go back to sleep again. I almost went back to sleep again, before I heard another pounding at the door. OMG I was scared. The dogs were flipping out again.

I look out the peephole and saw a police officer at the door. I open the door and he comes in to ask me my account of what happened that morning. I told him what I have put here. He wanted to know if I can write all of this out in a statement. Okay. He doesn't tell me what happened. He says it might cloud my statement and that he will tell me afterwards. He wants me to be as detailed as possible. Here I am in my dirty kitchen at 0700 in my pyjamas, with my three dogs jumping all over and shaking - writing out this statement. I can just imagine what the police officer was thinking.

Afterwards, he said the woman was claiming she was sexually assaulted. I said that was odd, that it appeared to me that someone else was with her hiding around the corner. I said I had no proof of that - she could have been talking to herself - but she never asked for help or sounded like she was asking for help. She sounded forceful and angry. I said her demeanor was scary and I am glad I didn't open the door and I am glad the police got there when they did - no matter what her situation was. He said they weren't sure of her story, that they were running down all the leads, and the neighbours gave similar stories - that she kept giving people different excuses to open the door and that someone else said they thought she was with a man who was hiding.

Scary situation. I thought I had put into the back of my head by last night, but I was in the backyard with Stella, waiting for her to go to the bathroom, and I heard a sound from the street. I felt a wave of fear and wanted to go in the house with Stella and lock the door.

2 comments:

Sonia said...

What a crazy story!!! My heart would have been pumping blood like crazy.... You were totally right for not opening the door, if she really needed help she would have asked you to call the police.... This type of event is really stressful, and you stay a little more on your guard for a while.

When I was living in Windsor, I had a half basement apartment and one night. I was going to the washroom and heard someone kicking my kitchen window. I was half asleep so my first reaction was to say: "WTF?" and then I heard some laughs and shouted that it wasn't funny and to go away. They kicked the window more and broke it with the net falling in my kitchen. I was so scared I started to cry and say I would call the police... and heard them running off. I was in shock, my first reaction was to call home in Montreal and wake up my parents at 3 AM!

I eventually called the police but it was too late and there were a lot of drunk people in the streets that night, the Canadian team had won the gold medal at the olympics or smth like that.... anyhow. Crazy stuff, puts you on the edge for a while....

At least you had your dogs, they would have protected you =) Hope you feel a little better now.

Carrie said...

Your story is scarier! I'm not stressed out as much anymore, I realize that as long as I didn't open the door, I was okay and this house is pretty secure otherwise. But it does get you thinking . . .