Saturday, February 2, 2008

Try this, I am proud that I invented this . . .

Curried Coconut & Cauliflower Lentils


 

This is something I just whipped up, but wrote down what I put in the pot . . .
VEGAN BABY!

1 shallot, chopped finely (you can use onion)
3 tbsp canola oil
1 can coconut milk
2 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1 whole cauliflower, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 tbsp chili paste (I like it hot, if you don't, you can omit this)
1 can of lentils
1/2 cup of water

Salt and pepper to taste

I put the chopped shallot in the bottom of a medium-large pot with the oil and put it on medium heat for about 3 minutes. I then added the coconut milk and chopped garlic, stirring it up.
I then added the spices, stirring as they went in the pot, screaming with delight.
I chopped up the cauliflower and put it in the pot, stirring to make sure it was covered in that beautiful yellow orange glow. I then added the chili paste, stirring it up again.
I then added the can of lentils, drained, of course and stirred it up. I then added the water. I put the heat on medium-low and let simmer for 1/2 hour to 1 hour, occasionally stirring.
I like my cauliflower soft, so I will let it simmer until it reaches that texture, but cook it as long as you like until it reaches your desired (yum) texture.
You can eat this straight, or on top of some rice or rice noodles.
This will give you 4 to 6 servings.

No comments: